Friday 19 November 2010

Some Hardships of the Messenger of Allah's (s.a.w) Daughters and Companions.

Hadhrat Faatima (r.a.) the Daughter of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) and Hadhrat Ali (r.a.) Suffer Extreme Hunger

Hadhrat Ataa narrates that he was told that Hadhrat Ali (r.a) said, "Many days passed by when neither us nor Rasulullaah (s.a.w.) had anything (to eat). I left home one day and found a lost Dinar lying on the road. For a moment, I thought to myself whether I should pick it up or not. Because of the hardship we were suffering, I ventured to pick it up and took it to a shop where I bought some flour. Taking the flour to Faatima (r.a.), I told her to make dough and bake some bread. As she made the dough, (she could not even stand up straight and in her bent over position) her forelock kept hitting against the dish because of the extreme hardship (and weakness) she was suffering. After she had made the bread, I went to Rasulullaah (s.a.w.) and informed him about what had happened. Rasulullaah (s.a.w.) said, 'Eat the bread(1) because it is a provision that Allaah has provided for you (from unseen sources)."'(2)

(1) This incident took place before the prohibition of using lost items. Nevertheless, the situation was extreme, in which case, a person is permitted to use such means to save one's life.
(2) Hanaad and Adani as quoted in Kanzul Ummaal (Vo1.7 Pg.328). Abu Dawood (Vol.1 Pg.240) has also narrated the Hadith from Hadhrat Sahl bin Sa'd (r.a.)


The Hijrah of Rasulullaah's (s.a.w.) Daughter Hadhrat Zaynab (r.a.)

Rasulullaah's (s.a.w.) daughter Hadhrat Zaynab (r.a.) says:

"As I was preparing the provisions for my journey (Hijrah), Hind bint Utba met me. She said, '0 daughter
of Muhammad! Do you think that the news has not reached me that you wish to meet up with your father?' 'I have no such intention,' I replied. She said, 'Dear cousin! Do not do this. If you require any goods for your journey or any money to help you reach your father, I have what you need. You should therefore not keep
secrets from me because the disputes between men should not creep between us women."' Hadhrat Zainab (r.a.) narrates further when she says, "By Allaah! I certainly think that she meant what she said but I was scared for her and denied that I intended to migrate."

Ibn Is'haaq further narrates that Hadhrat Zaynab (r.a.) continued her preparations and when it was completed, her husband's brother Kinaana bin Rabee brought her a camel which she mounted. He took his bow and quiver along with him. He took her out of Makkah during the day and led the camel as she sat in her carriage. When some men of the Quraysh started talking about this, they set out after her and eventually caught up with her at Dhu Tuwa. The first to catch up with her was Habbaar bin Aswad Fihri. As she sat in her carriage, he frightened the camel with his spear until it threw her off. According to what people say, she was expecting at the time. Kinaana sat on his knees, emptied his quiver and said, "By Allaah! I shall place an arrow into anyone who even draws close to me." The men drew back from him.

Just then, Abu Sufyaan arrived with a group of senior members of the Quraysh. He called out (to Kinaana) saying, "Dear man! Hold back your arrows until we have a chance to speak to you." Kinaana held back and Abu Sufyaan came forward until he stood before Kinaana. He said, "You have made a great mistake. You have taken the lady openly in full view of everyone when you know the hardships and difficulties we have experienced at the hand of (her father) Muhammad. If you take her away from our midst so openly and in full view of the people, it would be an embarrassment to us and people would regard this to be a sign of our weakness. I swear by my life that we have no need to keep her away from her father and have no revenge to exact from her. However, you should take her back now and secretly take her away to be reunited with her father only once people have quieten down and the word spreads that we have made her return (to Makkah)." Kinaana then did this.
('1)

Hadhrat Urwa bin Zubayr (r.a.) narrates that as someone was leaving (Makkah) with Hadhrat Zaynab (r.a.) the daughter of Rasulullah (s.a.w.) they were intercepted by two men from the Quraysh who fought him and after gaining the upper hand, pushed her down. She fell on to a rock and miscarried, causing her to bleed profusely. They then took her to Abu Sufyaan, who handed her over to some women from the Banu Haashim who had come to him. It was only after this that she eventually managed to make Hijrah. However, the injury persisted until she finally passed away on account of the injury. People therefore considered her to be a martyr. (2)
 
(1) Ibn Is'haaq, as quoted in AlBidaaya wan Nihaaya (Vo1.3 Pg.330).
(2) Tabraani narrating from reliable sources as confirmed by Haythami (Vo1.9 Pg.2 16)


Hadhrat Abu Salama (r.a.) and Hadhrat Ummu Salama (r.a.) Migrate to Madinah

Hadhrat Ummu Salama (r.a.) says, "When (my husband) Hadhrat Abu Salama (r.a) decided to migrate to Madinah, he tied a carriage for me on his camel and put me on it. He then put our son Salama bin Abi Salama on my lap and led the camel away with me. When some men from the Banu Mughiera tribe saw him, they stood before him and said, 'while you may have authority over yourself (you may go where you like) but why should we allow you to go away with that woman from our tribe?' They then snatched away the reins of the camel and took me away from my husband. When this happened, the Banu Asad tribe to which Abu Salama (r.a.) belonged became angry and said, 'We swear by Allaah that we shall never leave our son with his mother since you have snatched her away from our tribesman.' The people of the two tribes then started pulling my son Salama until they dislocated his arm. The Banu Asad then left with him while the Banu Mughiera kept me with them. My husband Abu Salama proceeded to Madinah."

"I was thus separated from my husband and son. Every morning, I would go out to Abtah where I would sit and cry continuously until the evening. This continued for a year or close to a year. Eventually, one of my cousins also from the Banu Mughiera tribe passed by and seeing my condition, he took pity on me. He said to the Banu Mughiera tribesmen, 'Will you not allow this poor woman to leave? You have already separated her from her husband and son.' My tribesmen then permitted me to join my husband and when this happened, the Banu Asad returned my son to me. I fastened my carriage to my camel and taking my son in
my lap, I prepared to leave to my husband in Madinah without anyone to acccompany me."

"When I reached Tan'eem, I met Uthmaan bin Talha bin Abi Talha who belonged to the Abd Daar tribe. He asked, 'Where are you heading, 0 daughter of Abu Umayyah?' 'I am off to meet my husband in Madinah,' I replied. "Is there nobody with you?' he queried. I replied, 'None besides Allaah and this little son of mine.'

He said, 'By Allaah! You cannot be left alone.' He then took hold of the reins of my camel and led my camel with great speed. By Allaah! I have never been with any Arab man more dignified than him. Whenever we reached a stop, he made the camel sit and then moved away. After I had dismounted, he would take the camel away, remove the carriage and tie the camel to a tree. He then went to some tree and lay down beneath it. Whenever the time came to leave, he would get up, fasten the carriage on the camel and bring it to me. He then moved away and told me to mount it. After I had mounted and settled on the camel, he would
return to take hold of the reins and lead the camel away until we reached the next stop. This procedure continued until he brought me to Madinah. When we reached the locality of the Banu Amr bin Awf in Quba where Abu Salma (r.a.) had taken up residence, he said, 'Your husband is in that locality so go there with the blessings of Allaah.' He then returned to Makkah."

Hadhrat Ummu Salama (r.a.) used to say, "I do not know of any Muslim family who experienced the hardships that the family of Abu Salama (r.a.) experienced and I have never seen a travelling companion as dignified as Uthmaan bin Talha.

The same Uthmaan bin Talha bin Abi Talha Abdari accepted Islaam after the Treaty of Hudaybiyyah was signed and migrated together with Khaalid bin Waleed."


Ibn Is'haaq, as quoted in AIBidaaya wan Nihaaya (Vo1.3 Pg.169).

(From Hayatus Sahabah by Maulana Muhammad Yusuf Khandhlawi)