Monday 21 February 2011

The Messenger of Allah's (s.a.w.) Advice to the Person who Complained About the Ill Treatment he received from his Relatives

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (r.a.) reports that a man once came to Rasulullaah (s.a.w.) complaining, "I have relatives who sever ties with me when I foster them, who behave ill towards me when I am good to them and who behave foolishly with me when I behave tolerantly with them." Rasulullaah's (s.a.w.) advice to him was, "If you are as you claim, then it is as if you are filling their mouth with burning ashes (they are harming themselves by behaving as they do). As long as you behave as you are doing, there shall remain with you an assistant (angel) from Allaah." (1)

Hadhrat Abdullaah bin Amr (r.a.) narrates that a man came to Rasulullaah (s.a.w.) saying, "0 Rasulullaah (s.a.w.) I have relatives who severe ties with me when I attempt to foster them, who oppress me when I forgive them and who are bad to me when I am good to them. Should I do to them as they do to me?" Rasulullaah's (s.a.w.) response was, "In that case, you would all be partners (in evil). You should rather adopt the better stance and continue bonding ties because as long as you behave as you are doing, there shall remain with you an assistant (angel) from Allaah." (2)
 
(1) Muslim (Vol.2 Pg.315). Bukhaari has also reported the narration in his Adab (Pg.11).
(2) Ahmad. Haythami (Vol.8 Pg.154) has commented on the chain of narrators.

(From 'Hayatus Sahabah' by Maulana Muhammad Yusuf Khandhlawi)